We all think our view of the world is the right view, but what if we learned to see the world through nine different types of lenses? How might it shape our views, open up our empathy and increase our understanding of the world in a more wholistic way? This is exactly what makes The Enneagram the popular typology tool that it is today.
Today’s episode is a conversation with Your Enneagram Coach, Beth McCord — speaker, author, coach — about what it could look like for us to meet in the middle and honour one another in order to see our relationships flourish. Through greater self-awareness, we can learn that seeing the world from different vantages points can be a really good thing; and perhaps this is the way Christ intended for us to live and love and move as His body.
- We each have four core motivations that drive us to do what we do:
- Core fear — what we’re always running away from
- Core desire — what we’re always running towards
- Core weakness — our Achilles heal and the thorn in our side
- Core longing — the message our heart always longs to hear
- We need to realize that everyone sees the world through different lenses. It doesn’t mean one is wrong and one is right, we need to learn how to listen and ask clarifying questions and come together. How can we come alongside one another and support each other in unique and different ways?
- It’s much better for all of us to hold things loosely and ask clarifying questions before making assumptions and reacting on those assumptions.
- If we assume and judge and criticize, it’s only going to tear relationships apart.
- Don’t commit assumicide. We assume people see the world we see it. But maybe they’re seeing the world from a different vantage point and their hearts are really good.
Your Enneagram Coach was founded by Beth McCord, an Enneagram speaker, coach and teacher for over 15 years. Beth is passionate about coming alongside individuals and helping them re-write their story, allowing them to see that lasting change, meaningful relationships, and a life of deep purpose is possible. This passion is what drove her to create this community, a safe place for individuals to explore the Enneagram.
Having been trained by the best Enneagram experts and pouring hundreds of hours into advanced certifications, Beth is now leading the industry in simplifying the deep truths of the Enneagram from a Biblical perspective. Beth’s passion is to make the Enneagram accessible for everyone, anywhere, so they can experience the transformation they long for. This includes one-on-one coaching, in-person events and workshops and online courses. She also offers training and support for those interested in becoming an Enneagram coach.
Beth’s favorite hobbies are studying and producing helpful Enneagram resources, fly fishing, and driving through the beautiful hillsides of Tennessee with her family. She lives outside of Nashville and has been married to her best friend, Jeff, for 23 years (Type 6, Loyal Guardian). They have two children (Nate, 20 years old and a Type 6 The Loyal Guardian and Libby an 18 year old and a Type 2 The Supportive Advisor).
Combining the gospel and the Enneagram has been instrumental in Beth and Jeff’s marriage and parenting.
Mentioned In This Episode:
- The Enneagram: A Christian Perspective by Richard Rohr
- Your Enneagram Coach: Discovering You
- Your Enneagram Coach: Exploring You